Police seek information on campus sexual assault
June 22, 2010
The Mississippi State University Police Department is seeking the public's help as they work to identify a suspect in a sexual assault that occurred in the early morning hours of June 5, 2010. The suspect threatened the victim with a handgun and forced her to a location near a wooded area near McKee Hall.
The suspect is believed to be an African American or Hispanic male between 5 feet 10 inches and 6 feet tall with a medium build and a closed shaved haircut. The suspect was wearing either a light gray or white t-shirt, dark tan cargo shorts and dark colored athletic shoes.
Anyone who saw someone fitting this description on campus during the time period of the sexual assault or anyone who may have been approached by someone fitting this description is urged to contact the MSU Police Department at 662-325-2121.
The family of the victim is offering a $5000 reward for information that leads to an arrest.
Also contact the MSU Police Department to report:
* any suspicious approaches by male subjects.
* incidents where a suspicious male was encountered in a location where they should not be (such as a dorm room), and when questioned, gave an unusual answer as to why they were there.
* approaches by a stranger who made unwanted advances.
* anyone who has overheard someone bragging about a sexual assault.
* anyone bragging about the use of a handgun.
In addition to contacting the MSU Police Department, information may also be given to the Golden Triangle Crime Stoppers tip line by calling 1-800-530-7151.