University community urged to be cautious
April 16, 2007
TO: Students, Staff and Faculty
While our thoughts and prayers are with all of those affected by Monday's tragedy at Virginia Tech University, this terrible incident reminds us of the need to be always vigilant and to exercise appropriate caution.
The following tips may be helpful:
We recommend that all students, staff and faculty be familiar with the telephone number for our MSU Police Department, 662-325-2121, and program that number into your speed dial or cell phone. Never hesitate to call the police if you feel threatened or if you see suspicious activity on campus.
- You can always dial 911 in an emergency. 911 calls placed locally from a cell phone will go to Starkville and can be relayed to MSU Police when appropriate.
- Remember that emergency telephones are located around the campus, and all of them are operational.
- You can use the same phone number, 662-325-2121, to request a safety escort on campus at any time.
- A tragedy of the magnitude at Virginia Tech inevitably engenders some anxiety. Assistance in coping with this news is available to students, staff and faculty from the Student Counseling Center at 325-2091.
- Meetings in campus residence halls will be scheduled for later today to provide further information about appropriate safety precautions and procedures and to offer such other assistance as may be needed.
Fortunately, we have an up-to-date Emergency Response Plan in place on campus. During recent months, we have conducted four training drills built around various emergency scenarios that give us confidence that we are taking the appropriate steps to be prepared for the unexpected and the unthinkable.
Robert H. Foglesong