NOTE: FutureState 2015, adopted in 2006, was superseded in fall 2012 by an updated strategic plan, State of Excellence, 2012-2017.
A strategy for Mississippi State University to become
the region's most respected land-grant institution
The purpose of this agenda is to marshal resources and expertise for the greatest benefits to the State of Mississippi and the nation as we navigate into the future. FutureSTATE 2015 encompasses specific action plans for the next 10 years, but will be open to review and modification as we respond to emerging opportunities and a changing environment.
The most fundamental assumption underlying FutureSTATE 2015 is that Mississippi State should aspire to be the most respected land-grant institution in the Southeast, dedicated to improving the lives of Mississippians by adhering to its deep roots as the People’s University and its statewide missions of learning, research, and service.
Our primary goals are to:
- Enhance student growth and development by providing excellent academic programs, building character, and ensuring an accessible, caring, and diverse environment.
- Recruit and retain a highly qualified and diverse faculty, providing them with an environment that supports excellent teaching, research and service while offering opportunities for professional growth and pursuing salaries, benefits and other rewards that recognize success.
- Achieve fiscal stability by encouraging private, corporate, and government financial support and by recruiting and retaining qualified students through a sustained campaign that also allows us to expand and stabilize our tuition base.
- Expand research opportunities and promote economic development.
- Expand research opportunities and results by supporting the institutional components and infrastructure that enable beneficial discovery and application of new knowledge and by identifying emerging opportunities.
- Promote economic development that contributes to a better quality of life in Mississippi by integrating and organizing the university’s extensive capabilities and forming relationships with communities and corporations to support creation and retention of high quality employment opportunities.
- Strengthen pride and involvement with MSU among students, faculty, staff, administrators, alumni, friends, retired faculty, and others who make up the Great Bulldog Nation with a successful athletics program, a vibrant social and cultural environment, and a campus infrastructure and physical appearance that is inviting and pride-inspiring.
A broad-based university-wide review involving dozens of faculty, staff, students, and friends produced more than 100 recommendations for realizing our vision. Current and anticipated revenues are sufficient to begin implementing key initiatives in the areas of academic excellence; leadership and character development; faculty development; recruiting and retention; research; economic development; community engagement, outreach, and service; campus enhancements; relationship building with alumni and friends; and athletics.
We also have identified for additional support existing, emerging, and potential academic and research centers of excellence.
We will establish a task force to further review the appropriate division of effort among teaching, research, and service responsibilities, and how the university acknowledges and rewards contributions in each area in the promotion and tenure processes.